The Residence Permit for Investment Activity (ARI) regime, in force since October 8, 2012, allows nationals of Third States to obtain a temporary residence permit for investment activity with the waiver of a residence visa to enter national territory. The beneficiary of ARI theme the possibility of:
- Enter Portugal with waiver of residence visa;
- Reside and work in Portugal, and must, at least, stay in Portugal for a period not inferring to 7 days in the first year and not less than 14 days in subsequent years;
- Move around the Schengen area without a visa;
- Benefit from family reunification;
- Request the granting of permanent residence permit under the Aliens Law (Law No. 23/2007, of 4 July, with the current wording). comply with the requirements laid down in Article 80 of the REPSAE and require the granting of a permanent residence permit, a residence permit for permanent investment activity shall be issued, with the exception of this regime as provided for in paragraph 2(b) and (3) and (4) of the same diploma (cancellation of the absences from the national territory, cf. Article 65k of the Dec. Reg. 84/07 of 5/11, in its current writing). The Residence Permit for Permanent Investment Activity may be subject to specific rates of analysis and issuance, to be regulated in the case of amendments to Ordinance No. 1334-E/2010, of December 31.
- Possibility to request the acquisition of Portuguese nationality, by naturalization, complying with the other requirements required by the Nationality Law (Law No. 37/81, of October 3, with the current wording).
Who can apply?
All third-country nationals who have an investment activity, either in person or through a company incorporated in Portugal or in another Eu State and with a permanent establishment in Portugal, which meet one of the quantitative requirements and the time requirement provided for in the applicable legislation, may apply for a Residence Permit for Investment Activity by means of investment in one of the following possibilities:
(i) the transfer of capital in the amount of EUR 1 million or more;
(ii) the creation of at least 10 jobs;
(iii) the acquisition of immovable property of eur 500,000 or more;
(iv) acquisition of immovable property, the construction of which has been completed for at least 30 years or located in an urban rehabilitation area and carrying out rehabilitation works for the acquired immovable property, in the overall amount of EUR 350,000 or more;
(v) transfer of capital in the amount of EUR 350 000 or more, which is applied in research activities carried out by public or private scientific research institutions, integrated into the national scientific and technological system;
(vi) transfer of capital in the amount of EUR 250 000 or more, which is applied in investment or support for artistic production, recovery or maintenance of national cultural heritage, through services of the central and peripheral direct administration, public institutes, entities that integrate the public business sector, public foundations, private foundations with public utility status, intercity entities, entities that integrate the local business sector, municipal associations and cultural public associations, which continue attributions in the area of artistic production, recovery or maintenance of national cultural heritage;
(vii) transfer of capital in the amount of € 350 000 or more for the acquisition of units in investment funds or venture capital funds geared towards the capitalisation of undertakings, which are constituted under Portuguese law, maturity at the time of the investment is at least five years and at least 60 % of the value of the investments is realised in commercial companies based in national territory;
(viii) the transfer of capital in the amount of eur 350 000 or more for the establishment of a commercial company based in national territory, combined with the creation of five permanent jobs, or for the strengthening of the share capital of a commercial company based in national territory, already constituted, with the creation or maintenance of jobs, with a minimum of five permanent, and for a minimum period of three years.
The ARI scheme does not apply to citizens who hold Portuguese nationality and nationals of the EU and the EEA.
Where can I apply for it?
Mandatory online pre-registration is made on the ARI Portal, available in http://ari.sef.pt.
For more information, you can contact the SEF Contact Centre.